Know first that in Madagascar tipping is not institutionalized and even less mandatory. Tipping should be commensurate with satisfaction with the service received.
Here are some figures to help you budget for this item of expenditure.
The prices below are per couple or family.
- A tip to the baggage porter in a hotel is around MGA 2,000 (a little less than €0.5)
- A tip at the restaurant: +/- 10% of the amount of the bill
- A tip to a local guide in a park: MGA 20,000 per day (a little less than €5)
- A tip to a porter in a park: MGA 5,000 a day (a little over €1)
- A tip to the agency guide: MGA 50 000 per day (i.e. a little over €10)